Background

Monday, February 25, 2013

Hey Everyone! Come see how good my wire cutter looks :)

So, as I teased in my previous post, I ordered (and received) this wire cutter from Bud Haffner's Etsy Shop.  Bud was great to work with and shipped out this cutter within the time that he committed to, which I really appreciate.  It arrived within 2 days of shipment and in great condition.  It comes with some instructions and also an extra wire.

Photo taken on the day it arrived (with the shipping box in the background...)

It is his 1" wire cutter, and it cuts 12 bars.  This version allows me to cut logs that are longer than 1 foot without first splitting them into smaller sizes.  I've never used a wire cutter before, and it took me a little bit of time to figure out the tightening of the wires.

Isn't this a beauty?
This cuts magnificently straight bars!  Check out how straight each of these bars look - this is just after cutting my first loaf - an unscented and uncolored basic honey / beeswax / mango butter soap. I haven't cleaned up the edges yet.


Close up of my first bars cut with the wire cutter.  Haven't been cleaned up yet, but they are so pretty and straight!!
I've really struggled with my miter box - I cannot tell you how this happens, but the bars tend to be curved in the middle when I use my miter box. I don't have any good photos of the soaps that are curved in the middle, but you can see clearly below that I cannot cut soaps straight even vertically with my miter box. 

One of these things is not like the others...

I am beyond thrilled so far with this cutter.  It has made everything so uniform, which will be great for labeling, storing, and consistency.  I am very happy with this investment.

The only issue I have is that it seems that a few days after cutting, these bumps appear on the soaps.  

I wish I had a photo immediately after cutting - these white spots / bumps weren't there yesterday...
Someone had mentioned that it happens with wire cutters - has anyone had this happen to them?  Suggestions on how to fix it??

~Chrissy

3 comments:

  1. VERY nice cutter Chrissy! I've read about the wire cutters leaving bumps, but I can't recall any solutions...I hope someone else can chime in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cee! I'm really impressed with how uniform these soaps are :) I think I read somewhere that the bumps may be caused by air bubbles - maybe the wire pulls down a thin layer of soap over the air bubbles and then they stick out a little bit? Not sure, but I am going to try to hand-mix some soaps for a couple batches to see if that makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice cutter! I use a cheese slicer and I get bumps too...not sure how to fix it. If you notice a difference with hand-mixing, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts, comments and / or questions, but inappropriate language or spammy comments will be removed. I try to respond to all comments, so check back!