So, to celebrate, I decided to finally try to make some soap cupcakes. I found an awesome sale on cake decorating supplies at Joann Fabrics and bought a bunch of stuff earlier this week to use as "soap only" decorating. I had some Hot Chocolate FO from Brambleberry and some green sea clay I wanted to try out. My recipe was supposed to make 6 cupcakes, using 25 oz of oils.
I used the FO for the base of the cupcakes, since it will discolor them to a nice dark brown. I poured out about 18 oz of the soap batter for the base and mixed in only the FO, no additional colorants. Already, you can see the discoloration from the FO:
The batter I poured was enough for 7 bases, but I didn't use enough of the "frosting", so I had enough left over for an extremely ugly cupcake.
The color was not as vibrant as I had wanted, so I found some body-safe pink glitter and sprayed the tops of this cake. Now the cupcake is a weird patina color and looks kind of slimy. Another soap that is definitely going into my personal stash :)
I tried poppy seeds on a couple, both for some extra exfoliation and some visual interest (read: to cover up the poor job I did on piping...)