Background

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Soap Volcano!!

I took some time this holiday weekend to catch up on some soap ideas I have had drawn out but haven't had time to make.  My first three batches turned out just as I had wanted them to - I'll write a post later when I have time to clean them up and get some good light for photos.  

The troublemaker was the next batch I attempted to make.  My fourth (and last) batch of the night was a remake of a hot process lavender soap with alkanet root.  I make it in my BB vertical mold, because I like that it keeps all of the edges nice and smooth, even though it is hot process.

{warning - this may or may not be a boring post - I didn't think to take any photos of this process, so it's going to be a "pictures with words" post :) }

I had run out of bowls and equipment to infuse my soaping oils with the alkanet root, so I had the brilliant idea to just infuse the alkanet root using my crockpot while I was working on my other soaps.  The infusion went great, although I needed a second pair of hands to help me strain out the alkanet root powder (thanks Kris!).  The oils were super hot, and I put them back in the crock pot to stay warm.  I mixed my essential oil blend and put it the table next to the oils so I didn't forget to put it in the oils.  Two seconds later, I knocked the cup over, and the whole soaping area still smells like lavender.  I suppose it could be worse - it could smell like neem oil!

The oils were HOT, though - around 180 degrees!  Since the soap batter over 200 degrees while it's cooking, I had the brilliant idea to just mix the 170 degree lye mixture with my 180 degree oils to save myself some time.  Luckily, I stayed by the crock pot to clean up after I had stick-blended the lye and oils, because less than 10 minutes later, this mixture of blue-purple beads started to volcano out of the crock pot and spill EVERYWHERE!  So, I yelled for my husband, stirred the soap back down into the crock pot, and took a couple deep breaths.  I also turned the crock pot down to low.

Luckily, the soap in the crock pot kept cooking and went through the normal phases.  It eventually didn't zap, and I got it in the mold without a problem.  I guess all's well that ends well, eh?

I've never seen a soap volcano, though, and I've definitely learned a thing or two from that harrowing experience!  If only I'd had the presence of mind to grab my camera so I could record it for posterity.  Hopefully I don't have another volcano to record...

~Chrissy

8 comments:

  1. Lucky that you ha your husband that could help you. I had one volcano over a year ago. I used some fruit in the soap (don´t remember what) and forgot to put it in the fridge. I "forgot" the soap and when I got back to see if the soap would be warm, it was all mushy and parts of it on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it sounds like quite an adventure from beginning to end, but a great save Chrissy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adventure,Chrissy! But why did you mix l/w and oils at so high temp.? I mean it's really high! I'm glad everything turned out fine for you and it really would have been great to see the pictures of volcano eruption :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh - I definitely didn't think through my process for the hot process soap before I started. I think I had soap making fatigue :) I had completely forgotten about the heat generated in the saponification process and how it would impact the temp of the soaps (and push it way over the levels I wanted). Good news is I won't make this mistake again (and also that I was around to monitor the soap volcano so it didn't require a massive clean-up later).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you were able to save it, Chrissy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that you were able to save the soap, Chrissy! I've never experienced a soap volcano, but it sounds pretty freaky. Good thing you were nearby and able to minimize the damage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I am glad everything worked out in the end. That must of been pretty scary. I never had a soap volcano happen to me, and I pray that I don't get one! That certainly would have freaked me out :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts, comments and / or questions, but inappropriate language or spammy comments will be removed. I try to respond to all comments, so check back!